Saturday, July 12, 2014

Scarecrow, "Chuchelo" or "Just a Thing"!





I Don’t Fit In . . . 

I don’t fit in with the in crowd
But I fit with you
I don’t fit in but I like out
You’re a little weird too
That’s just the thing I like about you


I love to listen to music in the morning. Between my coffee and breakfast making, changing music channels, I hear a new song, "Just the Thing" by Meredith O'Connor

“ . . . if I've been down for a while and ill show you everyday that my love wont go away and you lift me off the ground whenever you are around.” So sticking to you (my beloved husband) I’m thinking . . . thoughts swirling around my head.

One day my husband told me, ”Out of 7 billion people we found each other." Wow! “7” Billion! And with him, I can be myself. First time in my life. 

"Good luck finding one like you",  my sister told me few years ago!  "You better not be silly, act normal!” I looked at her, and said, I don't want to pretend! Normal!? What does it mean? At that point I had no hope to find the person who would understand me . . . not ever. Or so I thought . . .
Traveling the world for so many years, the moment I gave up my search...Miracle! I met him! Hard to believe, right? He understands me and protects my feelings. He is my second half, my rock, and it's great! 

“without you i can hardly see the happiness around me
the company you made i wouldn't trade it for a million bucks
its true u light a spark, without you I'm in the dark
and id never be able to find the light again,
and when you're strange its hard to find someone who stays till the end”

But before the these happy moments, my was life different— 

Growing up in Soviet Union , I always loved to watch movies.
One of my favorite was "Chuchelo"or "Scarecrow"in English, directed by Rolan Bykov. It's a famous book and interesting motion picture about little girl, who moved to a small town, started a new school, and never fit in. She was skinny, with a big nose, and shy. The not so pretty, girl next door, which exist in every school. But she was alone, even though she was in love, it was never reciprocated! This book/movie was so shocking, coming from a Soviet era Russia, it opened doors for people to see that the problem of harassment (bullying) is real, and exists in every school. Children can be cruel. Proper parenting is rare. And the prejudices of the parents become a part of a child’s paradigm. Especially when they are in a crowd or peer setting, under pressure to be cool and be like everybody else. That's why when I heard "Just the Thing", it immediately reminded me of the problems kids have at school.

So, I did my research on the internet about Meredith. She is young and talented, and has a great message: Anti-Bullying, for one! I didn't realize that in the selfish times we live in, someone so young could be so concerned and caring about others! I read her posts on Instagram, and she is so supportive of her fans and young kids! One girl left a message about being bullied at school in California, and Meredith promised her to visit her school! How exciting! Can you imagine the faces of those mean kids, when they see a real star come to visit that girl!

I knew a girl just like that.  She was my school mate.  How she suffered and cried her self to sleep night after night. She was the tallest girl in the class, and some girls hated her . . . and you know what, now she is a model and works in Italy, married to rich and successful man, in love . . . and all those girls that teased her, many are still very unhappy, divorced and miserable.

Treat people the way you want to be treated!

Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children (and adults) that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems. In order to be considered a bully, the behavior must be aggressive and include:

Kids who bully use their power—such as physical strength, access to embarrassing information, or popularity—to control or harm others. Power imbalances can change over time and in different situations, even if they involve the same people. Just remember another movie " You Again", very funny and cool. 

So how we can help to resolve the problem? 

  • What do parents need to do?

  • How can we share our support with kids at school? 

Meredith is willing to visit schools to talk with kids about the problem. It's so amazing, really!  What about you and I? Are you willing to make a difference? If you are a parent, talk to your children, explain to them that they should treat other young people the way they want to be treated. And, importantly, illustrate to them how devastating it would be if they were shunned and ridiculed, instead of excepted by their peers.

If you are a makeup artist or stylist , photographer or performance artist, donate your time to go and talk to a neighborhood school, make girls feel special and pretty, help boys feel empowered and worthy. If you owe a fitness studio or marshal arts studio, give a child a free lesson in protecting themselves. If you familiar with bible, read some stories from there and bring an inspirational message to their hearts. Kids are our future, they will inherit our Earth after us!

This problem is very old, and thanks to you Meredith, for helping to address the problem through your lyrics! 


That’s “Just the Thing” I like about you Meredith!



No comments:

Post a Comment